RIOT Shoulder Season Program
PLEASE READ ALL INFO CONTAINED HERE CAREFULLY AS THERE HAVE BEEN CHANGES!
The 2017 Spring season is fast approaching and we're excited to be starting practice on the weekend of March 4 & 5.
SAIL NEWPORT RIOT PRACTICES:
Lead by Head Coach Joakim Karlsen, a stellar group of coaches have been lined up for 2017 including: Lisa Downey, Patrick Clancy, Rich Feeney, Charlie DiPrima and more. Opti sailors will learn boat handling techniques, tactics and strategy, regatta management, conditioning and more with this talented group of coaches. With a 7 : 1 sailor to coach ratio in Champ Fleet, and 1:6 in Green Fleet, sailors will get lots of attention and coaching feedback. Practices are held at the Sail Newport Sailing Center, in Fort Adams State Park.
Training is offered for ALL levels of Opti RACING sailors, from those with experience and prior organized instruction - to those who wish to start racing in Green Fleet - to advanced sailors who have raced with one of the USODA National Teams.
The practice days are more structured and rigorous than a typical summer program schedule. While fun is a critical component of the racing program, we emphasize learning new skills, challenging the sailor, and developing commitment to the sport.
RIOT SKILL GROUPS:
We are changing the organization of skill groups this year. This will enable us to work more efficiently on moving from Green fleet to Team Trials-Qualified (TTQ). After every practice, the coach for each specific group will send a personalized email to the sailor talking about what went well and what will need improvement.
When registering please choose the group your sailor will be in. If in doubt, please email Joakim for advice.
- Intro to racing
- Straight out of green fleet
- Sailing in local and regional regattas
- Spending a lot of time working on technical skills
- May sail in one or two National events
- Not TTQ yet
- Committed to sail major events
- Main goal is to qualify for TTQ
- Qualified for Team Trials/ or have been qualified in the past
- Trying to qualify for National team and International regattas
We will practice in small groups in the morning with big group racing drills in the afternoons
COLD WEATHER SAILING:
Sailors are required to wear gear appropriate for cold spring sailing conditions.
DATES AND RATES:
Spring Session 1 (TTQ and Champ Gold only):
Dates: March 4th – March 25th
4 Saturdays: $ TBA
4 Sundays: $ TBA
All inclusive: $ TBA
Spring Session 2: (Champ Gold, Champ Silver, TTQ)
Dates: April 1st – May 28th
9 Saturdays: $ 540
9 Sundays: $ 540
All Inclusive: $ 1000
Green Fleet (Sundays only):
Dates: April 23 - May 21
Rate: $ 300
Youth Challenge Coaching (Sat & Sun June 3 - 4): $100
- While efforts will be made to accommodate last minute requests for changes to selected dates, it is not guaranteed and there are no refunds for missed or unused days.
- Sail Newport has a limited number of charters available at $20 per day ($15 per day if BYO sail). Priority goes to Green Fleet participants, Champ Fleet second, and those sailors participating in at least 5 practices.
- Any participating sailor will be able to leave their boat / spars / blades and dollie at Sail Newport - storage is included during the time a sailor is signed-up to participate.
If you have any questions about financial aid or other, please do not hesitate to email Program Director Kim Hapgood, we will be happy to work with you!
All messaging and announcements will be made through TeamSnap. This is an online portal that parents will need to sign up for after an invitation via email from Coach Joakim. To initiate this now, please email Joakim.
All of the communications for the program will be through TeamSnap. However, please stay tuned to our Facebook page for up to date postings on activities.